Friday, November 7, 2014

Entertaining Owl






"By and large, people who enjoy teaching animals to roll over will find themselves happier with a dog."
                                                                                     ---------------Barbara Holland

Hi, Friends......

I am here with a fun card inspired by two different challenges.  First of all is Melissa's Vandicrafts Artistry Challenge - Bye, Bye Birdie, which I hope to slip under the wire for.  The second one deserves special mention......

I hope all of you are participating in Jennifer Grace's annual Frosty Festivities!!  She has some amazing projects to inspire you, giveaways to entice you, and a super-duper challenge to ...umm... challenge you!!

Jennifer made an adorable felt St. Nicholas door stop which inspired to me to look around my stash for felt, too.  I already had been thinking about this adorable felt owl for Melissa's challenge, so I did a twofer.  (I hope it's okay that my project isn't Christmasy for Jennifer's challenge!)  

 


This card features a clearance rack felt owl that I just love.  I was taken with the adorable sleepy little creature and tipped it drowsily to one side.  Then I grabbed my Springtime Doodlebug collection and saw that pixie straw......and instead decided to bend it into a star-studded cane for a modest little entertainer.  Do you like it?

My tree background was one of those leftover experiments from that day I went wild inking up my embossing folders.   I think it gives just the right amount of natural look with the other whimsical colors and patterns I used.  



Here's a closer look at my owl's sparkling cane.  Little sequins from my stash attached easily with 3D Crystal Lacquer.  Glossy Accents came to the rescue to glue the cane onto the felt.  

I hope you will tell me what you think of my card.  Those spring colors are sure a surprising (even to me!) departure from autumn designs and holiday cards, aren't they?!  My next post will be more seasonal and show how I used some of my card candy from last post.

Hope your weekend is lovely!!  Did I make it in time, Melissa????

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1.  Vandicrafts Artistry Challenge #15 - Bye Bye Birdie 
2.  Jennifer Grace's Frosty Festivities 2014 Linky Party
3.  Ladybug Crafts November Challenge - Use Bright Colors
4.  Bunny Zoe's Crafts October Challenge - Animals
5.  DL.ART November Linky Challenge - Anything Goes

10 comments:

  1. Very cute. I like the colors and the star studded cane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue!!! The cane was an after-thought, but I'm glad I went with it. I like the look.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. Just popped over from Jennifer's linky - such a cute felt owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Melissa. Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment. Hasn't the Frosty Festivities event been wonderful????

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. That's so cute, I love the starry cane, what a brilliant idea! It's totally okay to add non-holiday projects to my linky too, as long as they are inspired by the event like this one is! Thanks for joining in! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. I was hoping it would be okay!!! :) Thanks for taking the time to drop by and for your great comment.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I saw your adorable little owl card on the Artistry challenge and had to come over to comment. SO DARN CUTE!! Love the bright happy colors and that ruffled eyelet along the bottom. What a creative way to add some sass to this critter with the straw-turned-cane! She DOES look like she's doing a little soft shoe, doesn't she? I'm assuming she's a girlie owl because of the pink wings but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen!!! I think she's a girl owlie.....but I know what you mean!!! Using a pre-made felt owl embellishment is sort of cheating, but I thought she was too cute to pass up on the clearance rack!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. How cute is that!?! I will definitely have to show my Mum-in-law she loves owls. :) I love how bright and cheerful this is! Thank you for sharing on this weeks Artistry Challenge! Be sure to come back Saturday, Sunday or Monday to vote for your favorite two crafts. :)
    Melissa - Vandicrafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa!! I am loving that owls are so popular right now cuz I love them, too!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis