Monday, June 9, 2014

Beachy Flip Flop Card

"It's better the feed one cat than many mice."
                          ------Norwegian proverb 
  



Hi, Friends......

I am back with another beachy card. It doesn't look too hard, but it took me forever to make.....to get all the elements just right...but I love how it turned out! I used my Beach Keen set again from Fresh Squeezed Stamps. Such a fun set!! 


I went for a super-bright and splashy look for this card.  The striped paper is from Doodlebug Springtime
that I received as a prize.  (THANKS, Doodlebug!)  The colors were perfect for my card.






Here's the Sketch Saturday plan I used for my card:







To make my flip flops, I turned over the clear acrylic stamps and inked the backs with my  Color Box Tropical stamp pad.  The bands of color on this pad were just the right size for making the multi-colored flip flops.  I heat embossed the stamped shapes with clear embossing powder to give it a sheen and a slightly dimpled appearance.  Next I inked the correct side of the stamps (the side with the straps) with Staz-On black ink that would stamp nicely over the top of the embossed surface.  (Isn't it amazing how I can describe in a few sentences what took me well over an hour to do!?!  Ha.  I had a long line of flip flops before I could match up a pair that was satisfactory!  Ugh.  lol...)
I stamped my little shells several times using different colors of ink and embossing powder:  clear, khaki, and yellow powder.  Since I can never stamp right exactly over a previous stamping, I used this "problem" to my advantage to give the shells a little bit of depth. :)   I stamped and embossed my sandy background with the same colors, but also some orange.

Please notice the rough textured orange and pink papers under the stamped panel.  These are from DCWV The Fiber Stack.  I LOVE the organic feel to this paper.  DCWV makes several different color packs of this paper, I have the one with the bright colors.  The natural texture and vivid hues were just what I needed here.

That's all for now.  Hope your week is off to a good start!  Thanks for all your amazing comments.  I so appreciate each one of them!!

Have a lovely day!

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:  
1.  Sketch Saturday Week #313  
2.  MFP Simple Salutations Challenge #100 - Beach 
3.  Fantastic Tuesday Challenge #38 - Summer
4.  Pile it On Challenge #23 - Patterned paper
5.  Chocolate, Coffee, & Cards Challenge #66 - Embossing 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CAT STATUS UPDATE:
All the cats are fine.  The dog is not.  Growler continues to go to the neighbor's house (abt a mile away) where there are kids and other dogs to play with.  Growler is despondent because my husband is out of town right now and I think she is bored.  Do you think we should get a puppy to keep her company?  Arrrrrghh...what am I even thinking????
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

16 comments:

  1. Great colors on this card and the embossed sand - awesome!! Love this card!! Thanks for the inspiration to use a similar stamp and create something!!
    Taunya Butler at https://daisiesgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taunya,
      Thanks for such a sweet comment!! I stopped by your blog, too, and entered your drawing!! Woo-hoo! :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. This is such a bright and cheerful card! So full of summer and fun, it made me smile. Your flip flops look great. Super job! So happy to have you share your lovely creation with us at CC&CC. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Joanne! Your words mean a lot to me!!! Thanks for visiting me here.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. Adorable Beach card! Love the flip flops and sentiment! Thanks for sharing with us at MFP Simple Salutations Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehehe.....I am going to have to stop staying up late making cards for the MFP challenges!!! Thanks for visiting and for your nice comment!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. Love it! So bright and colorful. Thanks for joining us at MFP Simple Salutations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph, for your sweet comment. Oh, my goodness!! I can't believe my name was drawn as your winner for this challenge!! This has been my super-lucky week at MFP. I can't wait to play with my stamps!!!! Thanks so much for the amazing challenges and fun.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. A fabulous image and yummy papers. Thank you for joining us at Pile It On his Time we look forward to seeing you again soon. Tracy DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scrapcat!! I very much appreciate your nice comment and your visit!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  6. What a fun card! It makes me want to get some cute flip flops and go lay on the beach. Especially since it is POURING rain outside right now. I like how the shells stand out and how brave you were with all the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christy!!! This rain is something else, isn't it? I haven't decided if this much rain is good for my garden or not..... Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  7. Love the sentiment! Life really is better in flip flops! LOL The bright colors on your card just make me smile! Thanks for sharing with us at Pile it On!
    Tracey, DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracey!! I definitely am a flip flop gal, myself. Thank you so much for stopping by!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  8. Fabulous card. Love the depth you achieved with the shells. I'm so sad that they went out of business. Thanks for sharing with us on MFP's Simple Salutations. Enjoy the coming summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Christine. I really like how the shells turned out, too. Fresh Squeezed Stamps had such wonderful products! Love how their sets included focal points plus the extra added details....like these little shells and the sand. Other companies do that, too, but there's was special. Really miss them. Thanks for your comment and your visit!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis